Jim Lehrer's recipe for "Campaign Chili"
also known as (North Texas Chili)
Jim is a renowned journalist, who is sharing his favorite election night remedy.
- 2 pounds lean ground meat
- 2 good-sized cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Chili powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 good-sized cans dark red kidney beans
- Grated Colby longhorn cheese
- Corn chips
- 1. In a large skillet or pot, brown meat. Drain grease. Add tomatoes, green pepper, onion, chili powder and salt. Also, add small amount of water.
- Let the mixture simmer over a low heat for 1 ½ hours. Taste and adjust the seasonings if, and when, necessary. Add the kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with grated Colby longhorn cheese and corn chips.